- Merriam-Webster OnLine http://www.m-w.com/
Includes both the dictionary and thesaurus. This dictionary gives words nearest to your request, if you are not sure of the spelling.
- Roget’s Thesaurus http://www.thesaurus.com
This is the web version of the Roget’s Thesaurus of English words and phrases. A good aid to find synonyms for overused words. Words may be looked up in the thesaurus or dictionary
- OneLook Dictionaries http://www.onelook.com
Indexes over 670 online dictionaries including many in specialized subject areas. You may browse an individual dictionary or glossary or use the search engine to search all dictionaries at once.
- yourDictionary.com http://www.yourdictionary.com/
Access 1800 dictionaries in 230 languages.
- VoyCabulary.com http://www.voycabulary.com/
Online web dictionary and thesaurus.
- WELL – Web Enhanced Language Learning http://www.well.ac.uk/
Links to a wide array of Web resources for language learning in some of the world’s major languages; includes dictionaries, news and magazines, and literature.
- The WWW Acronym and Abbreviation Server http://www.ucc.ie/info/net/acronyms/acro.html
An award winning searchable list of acronyms and abreviations.
- Acronym Finder http://www.acronymfinder.com/
Developer: Mountain Data Systems A searchable database of >186,000 acronyms,abbreviations and initialisms.
- Yahoo’s list of dictionaries http://dir.yahoo.com/Reference/dictionaries/
- French / English Dictionary http://humanities.uchicago.edu/forms_unrest/FR-ENG.html
Developer: Mark Olsen, ARTFL Project, University of Chicago
- NASA Thesaurus http://www.sti.nasa.gov/thesfrm1.htm
This social science dictionary has 1000 entries covering the disciplines of sociology, criminology, political science and women’s study with a commitment to Canadian examples and events and names.